Skip to main content
Six to Eight weeks prior:
- Purchase or rent moving supplies: tape, markers, scissors, pocketknife, newspaper, blankets, moving pads, plastic storage bins, rope and a hand truck. Free boxes can usually be obtained at a local supermarket, but consider purchasing wardrobe boxes for moving clothes.
- Have a garage sale to clear out unwanted items and plan accordingly. Consider donating unwanted items.
- Keep a detailed record of all moving expenses. Your costs may be tax deductible depending on the reasons for your move.
Two weeks prior:
- Hire a reputable mover or rent a moving truck. Be sure to get referrals or references, check with the Better Business Bureau, get estimates, purchase moving insurance.
- Two weeks before moving day, contact your telephone, electric, gas, cable/satellite, refuse and water companies to set a specific date when service will be discontinued. Contact utilities companies in your new town about service start dates, including Internet & long distance telephone services.
- Notify healthcare professionals (doctors, dentists, veterinarians) of your move and ask for referrals and record transfers.
- Register children for school and ask for school records to be transferred.
- Notify lawn service, cleaning and security companies when service should be terminated.
- Advise the post office, publications and correspondents of change of address and date of move.
- Check your homeowner's insurance and make arrangements for new coverage.
- Have tools handy for breaking down beds and appliances.
- Move valuables (jewelry, legal documents, family photos & collections) yourself - don't send them with the moving company. Make sure you have a complete Home Inventory of all your possessions.
- Give every room a final once over. Don't forget to check the basement, yards, attic, garage and closets.
- Have the final payment for the movers and money for a tip
- Don't forget to check in with your CENTURY 21 Atlantic Professional Realty Real Estate Professional - he or she may be able to provide useful local advice, and/or referrals.
© CENTURY 21 Atlantic Professional Realty. All rights reserved.
CENTURY 21® and the CENTURY 21 Logo are registered service marks owned by Century 21 Real Estate LLC. CENTURY 21 Atlantic Professional Realty fully supports the principles of the Fair Housing Act and the Equal Opportunity Act. Each franchise is independently owned and operated. Any services or products provided by independently owned and operated franchisees are not provided by, affiliated with or related to Century 21 Real Estate LLC nor any of its affiliated companies.